Thursday 5 May 2011

My First Post

Thought I better start one of these, start going along with the trend and let everyone know how my cycling is going.

Well where to start…this season didn’t get off to the greatest start in New Zealand, with a ute pulling out infront of me whilst riding. This resulted in me breaking my nose and severely bruising my knees, quads and hips. Had some trouble for a few weeks with walking and riding a bike just wasn’t gonna happen for a bit. Once I was all healed up, which took about 6weeks i did some major panic training to get the condition up to a decent standard before I shot off on a jet to Europe, leaving the important people in my life behind…and of course my dogs!

Have been in Belgium for 6-7weeks now and have a pretty sweet set up. Team director David Baert conveniently owns two houses in Zwevegem, so Simon Finucane, Yu Takenouchi (both team mates), Ruaraidh McLeod (another NZer who rides for the Dunkerque cycling team) and myself all live in one of them. We all seem to be getting on quite well. When I arrived here it took me a few weeks to get in the swing of things with the jetlag, getting settled in, getting all my team gear sorted etc. A recent head cold in the last week hasn’t helped but now everything seems to running smooth.

So far I have done 8-10races, mostly kermesses and its definitely different to racing in NZ…its so much harder, faster and a lot more people. Have finished with the front group majority of the time but haven’t been able to get up there to go for the win as im usually ‘poked’ by the end of the race. So I haven’t had any overly great results to date, but im sure they will come with time as im getting stronger every week.

Well I think that’s enough for my first post, until the next one im out.

No comments:

Post a Comment